These are my brief notes on fragrance products that I have either used up completely, or decided to get rid of. For other types of products, see the index. My opinions are based on my own experiences and preferences. Please keep in mind that my favorites could be total garbage for you, and your favorites could be my personal nightmares. Or maybe we have the same tastes and needs, who knows?
♥ = products that I would look into repurchasing
- Atelier Orange Sanguine sample vial – Just like an orange, but not sticky. It’s pleasant but smells childishly simple literally like orange juice, instead of a cologne. I liked layering it with Balenciaga B.
- ♥ Balenciaga B sample spray – First time I smelled it I thought, “….uh, this smells like literally nothing. Like, it’s the absence of perfume. Yawniest of yawns.” I tried it again later and found it really clean (without being powdery) and refreshing, like cucumber. Very light and springy, great for daily wear and mixes well with citrus perfumes and with my floral lotions. Love it! I purchased a full size.
- Chloé Chloé foil – Not notable in any way.
- Chloe Chloe Eau de Parfum foil – floral and cedarwoody but also girly and bug-spray-perfumey. Not too bad. I want to try the other foils I have, but I don’t necessarily want any more than that.
- Clean Cotton T-shirt 6 mL vial – I don’t really enjoy this and I have dozens upon dozens of perfumes that I do enjoy. I have a smaller sample that I’ll use, but I gave away this larger one.
- Clean Warm Cotton sample vial This is exactly what I assumed EVERY Clean brand scent was: laundry detergent. I only use unscented laundry detergent, so when I wear this it’s a weird feeling of “awesome, my laundry is done!” and “Someone else does my laundry FOR me!” and “it’s kind of weird that someone else is doing my laundry for me?” and “it’s nice that there’s an adult here looking out for me and taking care of shit.” Would not repurchase, but it’s a weirdly comforting thing to wear at bedtime.
- DKNY MyNY mini bottle – Destashed because even though I like it alright, it’s not unique or interesting enough and I’d rather try new things than feel forced to use this up for the sake of not being “wasteful”
- DKNY Pure sample: It’s like walking through the perfume section of a massive dept store, and you’re just like, “ugh omg can’t breath all the air is perfume” There’s nothing notable or terrible or good about it, it’s just perfumey. I’d rather wear something that smells good, or at the very least smells like something.
- Harvey Prince Ageless sample spray – Citrusy cucumbery fresh grapefruit. I like using it with Flowerbomb. I use one sample spray of flowerbomb and about 4 sprays of this. Then a two hours later, I can still smell the flowerbomb but I need to refresh with 4 more spritzes of Agelesss. That sums it up pretty well. I feel pretty much the same about Harvey Prince Hello, too.
- Harvey Prince Gardenia sample spray – Destashed after owning for a year or two, never wearing it because it smells somewhere between awful and meh to me, and deciding that I’d rather try something completely unknown than give this another chance to prove itself.
- Maison Martin Margiela Replica: Beach Walk sample spray – powdery, forgettable, bland.
- Maison Margiela Replica: Beach Walk foil – I want to love this, but it smells pretty generic. I keep trying it again and again thinking that I’ll love it this time, because it sounds like something I’d love. And every time it smells fine/meh and indistinct.
- ♥ Marc Jacobs Daisy foils (2) – I KNOW I reviewed this somewhere else but I can’t find it. It’s just like it says, sweet, strawberry, a bit of floral and vanilla. It sounds like it would be awful like fruit body spray, but it’s not. I’d consider a sample or travel size of this, after my sweet/fruity perfume oils are used up (and assuming I don’t like one of them more).
- Michael Kors Signature EDP mini bottle – Destashed after owning for a year or two, never wearing it because it doesn’t smell good to me, and deciding that I’d rather try something completely unknown than give this another chance to prove itself.
- NEST White Sandalwood sample sprays – Ugh! And still ugh every time I revisited the scent, thinking that my memory had distorted the scent to be worse than it really is. It is always the worst. I am in alignment with the Fragrantica reviews that mention metallic, blood, bleach, and intensely synthetic. Even though, in theory, I could imagine a worse perfume than this, this is the worst one that actually exists, that I’ve actually smelled. It’s so unbelievably horrible. If you like this, I’m glad you found something you like, but you should probably ignore all of my fragrance reviews. You and I have tastes and noses that are far too different.
- Philosophy Loveswept sample vial – Destashed after owning for a year or two, never wearing it because it doesn’t smell good to me, and deciding that I’d rather try something completely unknown than give this another chance to prove itself.
- Stella McCartney Stella foil – Roses. No baby powder or bug spray. You can’t tell a whole lot from foil samples.
- Tocca Florence deluxe sample – Destashed after owning for a year or two, never wearing it because it doesn’t smell good to me, and deciding that I’d rather try something completely unknown than give this another chance to prove itself.
- Tocca Isabel foil – Falls under that completely generic category of perfume that is responsible for me spending the first half of my life believing that perfume was all the same, and all pretty ugh. Eventually fades and a pleasant flowery vanilla note surfaces, but it’s still primarily generic perfume smell.
- Versace Bright Crystal Absolu foil – Not my style, but I could handle wearing it. Damning with faint praise, I guess. Too floral, didn’t last. Would not purchase.
Candles and Wax Tarts
- dw Home Christmas Tree candle – Good Christmas tree scent but too weak. The scent just kind of disappears instead of filling the room. I won’t repurchase and I probably won’t try other scents from this brand.
- ♥ Shearer Candles Amber & Rose Fondant candle – I don’t think I got the advertised 25 hours out of this, but it burnt well for the hours that I did get. Also now I know that notes I like a lot has a name and it’s “amber” so that makes buying fragrances in general a lot easier. I’d pick up more if I came across this at TJ Maxx again.
- Sixteen92 Toasted Marshmallow tart – Literally the only tart I’ve ever tried. I like the scent but have no frame of reference for comparison. These tarts seem significantly more expensive than candles.
- ♥ Sonoma Balsam Fir candle – Freaking love this shit. Smells like a Christmas tree. Would and have and will continue to repurchase. I’ve finished three so far.
- Yankee Candle Home Sweet Home candle – Nice but not as nice or as strong as I remembered. Does not have the literal my-actual-childhood-home scent that the one I found in the store did a few years ago. The name is the same, but perhaps Yankee changed the formula. (I bought this one online). Would not repurchase.