These are my brief notes on hair products that I have either used up completely or decided to get rid of. For other types of products, see the index. My opinions are based on my own experiences and preferences. Please keep in mind that my favorites could be total garbage for you, and your favorites could be my personal nightmares. Or maybe we have the same tastes and needs, who knows?
♥ = products that I would look into repurchasing
- Bumble and bumble Hairdresser’s invisible oil shampoo foil (2) – Fine. I like the smell, but it’s not magical.
- ♥ Bumble and bumble Surf Foam Wash Shampoo foil – I don’t think there is anything special about this besides the scent. I do really really like the scent though. So summery! I wish I could get it in body wash or perfume.
- Davines Oi shampoo foil – Lathers well, works fine, dislike the scent. Would not repurchase. Update: I stopped disliking the Oi scent after finishing a deluxe size Oi product. Wouldn’t purchase a full size but might try a sample again.
- ♥ Drybar Sake Bomb shampoo foil – Would use again
- Harvey Prince Hello Shampoo foil’s worth in deluxe size packaging – Just as underwhelming as the conditioner. My hair looked oily (not conditioned. greasy/oily) about 12 hours after washing. Garbage, would never repurchase.
- Living proof.
frizzshampoo foil – Does what shampoo is supposed to, while smelling like unsweetened grapefruit. I dislike grapefruit, but I have to admit it’s a good refreshing scent for hot and humid summer days, the kind of days that make your hair frizz.
- ♥ Living proof. PHD shampoo foil – Fine. Would use again, smells like my grandma’s house, or something she used, or something in that town, or her laundry, or something. IDK, the scent brings me directly to vising my granparents as a child.
- No4 Clarifying (?) Shampoo deluxe size – Fine, not as crazy-lathering as the volumizing one.
- ♥ Ouidad Clarifying Cream Shampoo paper “foil”…. why a shampoo manufacturer thought they should put their product in paper packaging is beyond me – Really like the smell of this. Would consider repurchasing, except I have about 5 years worth of shampoo, and an active Birchbox subscription.
- Phyto Phytocyane Densifying Treatment Shampoo – Perhaps it worked, perhaps it didn’t. It is definitely annoying to use such thin/watery shampoo. Half of it spills in the shower every time you pry it open.
- ♥ PhytoSpecific Intense Nutrition Shampoo foil – I bought ten 1 oz foils because it’s cheaper per ounce than a full size. When I used this for the first time, my hair became so silky and slippery that I couldn’t tie it in a bun anymore (it was really long at the time). I’ve got two left, and my opinion is still the same.
- Ulta Clarifying Shampoo deluxe size – It shampood.
- V76 by Vaughn Engergizing Shampoo foil – Lathery, fine, do not like the herbaly peppermint scent. Would not repurchase.
- BrioGeo Blosson & Bloom Volumizing Conditioner – I have no complaints or strong feelings about this. It smelled pleasant but in a difficult to figure out way. Kind of like vanilla but in a non-sweet herbal way? Floral/herbal/feminine without being sweet? Idk I tried to identify it every time I used it but never did figure it out.
- Bumble and bumble Hairdresser’s Invisible Oil Conditioner foils – fine. I like the smell, but it’s not magical.
- Bumble and bumble Surf Creme Rinse Conditioner foil – pretty meh conditioner, still like the scent though.
- Davines Oi Conditioner deluxe size – It worked, don’t like the scent. Would not repurchase. Update: Stopped disliking the Oi scent after using a larger size. Would not purchase but might try another sample.
- ♥ Drybar Sake Bomb Conditioner foil – Would use again
- Harvey Prince Hello Conditioner foil’s worth in deluxe size packaging – It sucks. My hair felt dried out when I used it, like I was just dong a second round of shampoo. Garbage, would never repurchase.
- Living proof.
frizzconditioner foil – does what conditioner is supposed to, and smells just like the shampoo.
- ♥ Living proof. PHD conditioner foil – fine, would use again, same scent as shampoo…
- Templespa In Good Condition Hair Conditioner – Didn’t seem to do much of anything.
Hair Mask/Deep Conditioning Treatments
- ♥ Amika Nourishing Mask sample – I have two of the jumbo size of this. It’s not a jaw-droppingly amazing magic hair mask, but it conditions nicely and I like it.
- ♥ Eva NYC Therapy Session Hair Mask foil – OMG this smells like magic and I love it and my hair was perfect. I used it the same day I tried a new Ouidad shampoo, so the magic could be from either. Unfortunately I have like 5 years worth of hair masks to work through. Would definitely repurchase.
- Rita Hazan Weekly Remedy Step 1 and 2 foils – Disliked the smell and it didn’t seem to do anything.
- Phytorelax Argan Nourishing Mask jumbo size – Got it at Ross, and while it did its job fine and was worth the $5 I spent, I dislike the scent. It quickly became a chore to use. I was able to finish it up by using it as shaving cream.
- Sachajuan Hair Repair foil – I waited too long to write my review and can’t remember how I felt. I’m including it to note that I’ve tried it before and it wasn’t amazing or terrible enough to be memorable.
- ♥ Agave Oil Treatment foil – Smells nice, like vanilla but kind of herbaly as opposed to vanilla frosting and baked goods.
- Carol’s Daughter Monoi Oil sample – Eh. My hair looked oily every time I used it even though I followed the directions. If I loved the scent I could probably figure out a way to work it in to my routine, but I wasn’t impressed.
- Davines Oi Hair Oil foil: No complaints. Over the course of this challenge I’ve learned to associate nice thoughts and relaxed feelings of luxury with the Oi scent, and it’s no longer disgusting to me. Weird, but that’s how it is. I probably wouldn’t repurchase this because I know the scent is strong and odds are good that I’d hate it again at some point. Better to stick with a more subtle scent.
- Phyto Phytopolleine Universal Scalp Elixer sample – Gave this away because I had it for over a year and never got around to using it. Figured it would expire before I got to it.
- Redken Diamond Oil for Hair sample vial – Just made my hair look oily, even when I only used a little bit on the ends when my hair was still damp. Thumbs down.
- Bumble and bumble Hairdresser’s Invisible Oil Primer deluxe sample – I use this as a UV protectant and detangler. It’s okay but not great. What I need is an actual detangling spray, and not a priming spray.
- ♥ Davines Oi All-In-One Milk foil – I like it as a detangler and my hair doesn’t air dry frizzy after using this. I strongly dislike the scent of the Oi line. Would not repurchase. Update: I grew to appreciate the scent after using a larger sample from the Oi line. I wouldn’t repurchase but I’d like to try another sample.
- It’s a 10 Miracle Leave-In Product deluxe size – I like the product alright, but I prefer leave-in sprays to be more of a misty spray so I can get all my hair without weighing down any one section. This spray nozzle sprays way too much at a time for me. Not sure if it’s because of the sprayer or if the product itself is heavier. Won’t repurchase, but would go for GWPs of it.
- It’s a 10 Miracle Leave-In Plus Keratin deluxe size – did not notice a difference between this and the non-keratin one. Not sure if I’d repurchase or not. I’d definitely use more if I received some, but I’d like to try other detanglers.
- No. 4 Super Comb Prep & Protect deluxe size – Detangler! A product I never knew I needed but turns out is great! I have a few different samples and this is not my favorite scent but it does work well.
- Julep Dry Clean Invisible Dry Shampoo – I didn’t get much use out of this, I want to say like four uses? I can still hear a LOT of product inside when I shake it. But nothing happens when I spray it – the propellant got used up. I wasn’t particularly impressed the few times that I did use it.
- KMS California Hair Play Makeover Spray deluxe size – I decoded the product name and decided it meant “dry shampoo.” I’d never used a dry shampoo before, so most of my experience with this product was just figuring out how to do it correctly. The last couple uses I finally figured it out and liked it. I’d consider getting another mini of this.
- Living Proof PhD Dry Shampoo travel size – Absorbs oil and volumizes, but it also turns my hair white. Even after brushing as much as possible out, my hair is still several shades whiter than normal.
- Abba Firm Hold Hairspray deluxe sample – Had this for a couple years, but gave it away because I figured it would expire before I used it.
- ♥ Aveda Pure Abundance Style Prep – I liked this, worked well to volumize. The 3.4 oz size lasted something like 5 years, and that’s including a lot of use as a linen and room spray because I liked the scent.
- Bumble and bumble All-Style Blow Dry deluxe sample – Gave it away because I figured it would expire before I used it.
- Bumble and bumble Don’t blow it deluxe sample (2 or 3) – I used up several samples and I still can’t tell the difference between when I use it and when I don’t.
- Bumble and bumble Repair Blow Dry deluxe sample – Gave it away because I figured it would expire before I used it.
- Bumble and bumble Straight Blow Dry deluxe sample (2) – Gave these away because I figured they would expire before I used them.
- Bumble and bumble Thickening Hairspray deluxe sample – Gave it away because I figured it would expire before I would use it.
- Harvey Prince Organics Sea/Salt Hair Mist deluxe size – This lasted two uses. I don’t even have that much hair. The scent was okay – not something I like or dislike. It lingered, which makes it difficult to use with any other scented products. At least I got compliments on the scent though.
- John Frieda Frizz-Ease 3-Day Straight deluxe sample – Gave it away because I never used it once in the year or two that I owned it.
- John Frieda Frizz-Ease Straight Fixation Smoothing Creme deluxe sample – Gave it away because I never used it once in the year or two that I owned it.